Scholars with diverse interests and approaches to this broad subject are welcome to submit papers concerning various media examine aspects of masculinity and the modern metropolis, within the 20th and 21st centuries.
Subjects invited for submission include, but are in no way limited to:
- Representations of the male and masculinity in metropolitan society within literature, film, and fine art. Contributions from theatre, and music are also welcome.
- Male as artist or witness to the evolving physical cityscape
- Modern and contemporary responses to 19th Century representations of industrialisation and the urban / de-industrialization and the changing nature of the urban and the masculine
- The metropolis as a milieu of capitalist oppression, and how this can be related to masculinity
- Urban photography and the metropolitan male identity
- Masculine national identities within the cityscape
- Masculinity and the nocturnal city
- The modern or contemporary flâneur
- Cityscape planning and the organization of male spaces
- Destruction of the city and the crisis of masculinity
- The male Superhero
- Masculinities and sexualities within the metropolis
- Depictions of the urban male and race
- The relationship of masculinity to musical sub-cultures / the protest song and music as social commentary
- Feminist, gay, and / or trans artistic reactions to masculinity and the urban
- Masculinity and dramatic performance within the metropolis
We invite submissions of short abstracts (300 words) accompanied by a brief biography (100 words). The time slot for presentations is 20 minutes with a 10 minute session for questions at the end of each panel.
Please send your abstract as an attachment (.pdf or .doc) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The subject of the email should contain the words: “Masculinity and the Metropolis submission”. The body of the email should include author(s) name, affiliation, abstract title and the email address you would like us to use to communicate with you.
Deadline for submissions: 20 December 2015.
Notification of acceptance/non-acceptance: 26 January 2016.